AQUATRANS is a cross border cooperation project financed by ERDF (European Regional Development Fund) resources articulated through POCTEFEX Program (Cross-Border Cooperation Programme Spain-External Borders). The overall objective of POCTEFEX "is to promote socio-economic and environmentally harmonious development, and contribute to greater structuring of the cooperation area". AQUATRANS is developed in the priority cooperation area of the Atlantic, between the regions of the Canary Islands (Spain) and Souss Massa Draa (Morocco).

The main objective of AQUATRANS is to promote collaboration between all institutions involved in aquaculture in the regions of Canaries and Souss Massa Draa in order to boost sustainable development and prepare the planification of an integrated management and conservation of natural marine resources.

The partners will work together to strengthen the capacities of the regions of the Canary Islands and Sous Massa Draa and establish respective plans for an integrated management of the marine resources, research, education and professional training. At the same time, the project shall establish the AQUATRANS NETWORK aimed at strengthening the cooperation between both regions, particularly among professionals and institutions (public and private) involved in the development of aquaculture.

Approved through the second call of the POCTEFEX Program, AQUATRANS Project completion date is December 2013. It is financed at 75% through ERDF funding, while the University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria – main beneficiary of the project– provides the remaining 25%. According to the conditions of the POCTEFEX Program, approximately 6% of total budget expenditures shall be made in the eligible territory of Morocco.